The Randomocity of the 5th Whitney

The Randomocity of the 5th Whitney
it is why I tell the story

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dancing

This semester I have been doing something new for me. I've been dancing a lot more than usual. Now many of you would be thinking "but Becky, you dance all the time! I see you at every dance party" Well this is different because I'm not dancing hip hop. I'm actually assistant teaching swing dance (both east coast and west coast) with one dance partner and I'm dabbling on waltz, tango, cha cha, samba, mambo, and salsa with another dance partner.
I don't know what it is about dancing, but I absolutely adore it. For waltzing it is the quick movements of the feet and the look of you floating on a cloud. For tango it is the passion between the partners and how it can be seen as violent when it really isn't at all. For cha cha it is how you can dance to many techno songs with it (now you will be listening to techno and counting the beat out in your head). Samba, Mambo, and Salsa are just so nice to relax to when we've been spinning way to much for either of us wanna do anything else.
Now, the one dance partner that I dabble in a little bit of every ballroom dance with is named TJ, I sort of have come to the conclusion that he is a taller and skinnier version of my brother in law Matt Colvin. And let me tell you, from what both of them talk about, I wouldn't doubt them being related. But we actually came up with a dance. Not a dance move, but an actual dance. we sort of took waltzing and swing dancing (east coast) and mixed them together. Now we have only figured out how to go one way, but still! It is so much fun.
My other dance partner I have is named Adam. He has actually been teaching swing dance for awhile now, but I have only recently offered my services as an assistant. The only reason I am teaching is because I know how to follow. Which is funny because if you asked my good buddy Matt Heaps last year, he would have said I'm really stiff in my arms and hard to work with.
Swing dance, I have to admit, is one of my favorites. Here on the hill of Franny Land, swing dance is a BIG dance to learn. They hold a dance specifically every Sunday night just for swing dance. I'm not saying if you don't know how to swing dance you would be shunned by most of my friends (because that is not the Franciscan way) but we will force you to learn because you will
fall in love with it that much. What do I love about swing dancing? Is it the aerials? Is it the fancy arm tricks? How about the fancy foot work? dips? You would be wrong. I enjoy swing dancing because it usually gives you a chance to meet new people and have fun with your friends. Don't get me wrong now, I absolutely adore all of the parts to swing dance even though I only allow a few guys to flip me, I love the closeness it gives everyone.
Now that it is fall break here, there is no swing dance on Sunday cause no BOS is here to put it on and the JC is closed. What my friend TJ and I have decided is to learn "El Tango de Roxanne" while everyone is gone. This is going to be tricky because the Fieldhouse (our gym) is closed for the break, and that is where the dance studio is. We can see if we can use a common room that has not that much stuff in it, but the mirrors would have been nice. Oh well, La vie continue. Alright, I better get off now because I have a lot of work to do today that will probably have nothing to do with school.

LOVES!!!!!!!

byes.

(rawr)


BONUS:
This is a pic of a random couple from my sister's wedding 3 years ago! This is a cuddle position dip, but she was about to be flipped.

And here is my sister and her husband (Matt Colvin) during their first dance. I can't remember what they were doing, but it was cute!!!!!!! and I heart her dress because it was sooooooo spinny! I hope my wedding dress is like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment