The Randomocity of the 5th Whitney

The Randomocity of the 5th Whitney
it is why I tell the story

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Duckmas!


 So unlike my original tradition of having about 5 Christmases in season, we had only one. Why? It was mostly because none of the girls could actually make it to the Northwest this year. My sister Bree decided that she wanted a Christmas at home and I couldn't get enough time off of my work to go to Oregon/Washington. So My parents and I flew to St. Louis for Christmas. Them from Oregon, me from Ohio. And may I just say that I truly needed this vacation. I think I like having school with work MORE than just work. After work I feel like I have no time to do anything, mostly because I have NOTHING TO DO! And with how much my family, and me personally, have been through, it was needed. ANYWAYS! You maybe wondering WHY the title of this post is "Merry Duckmas" WELL I'M GETTING TO THAT! You need more back story. My sister is of course married to her Matt (Mattsie [Matt C] as I like to call him) and his family has been very generous to us Whitney girls for a long time. This Christmas they opened their arms, and door, to us Whitneys and even fed us.  Mattsie's father Grant has been a chef in my eyes. If you have ever had his cooking, you would understand. He is like sooooo legit at the cooking. So this Christmas dinner, he took on the challenge of making ever dish of his 6 course meal, that's right SIX COURSE MEAL, with duck in it. INCLUDING DESERT! How is this possible? Well, let me go through each course:

1st Course: Duck Martini
This is a Duck Martini, it is made out of duck consommé, sherry, and a little orange twist. 


Very Delicious, and warm. it was like a soup in a martini glass. yum yum.






2nd Course: the appetizers. 


This is a duck prosciutto, duck heart patty (with sage and garlic), and a duck rillatte which you smeared onto a slice of baguette.  







3rd Course: The Salad.

This was just an ordinary salad... with duck and walnuts on top!. =)










4th Course: 1st entree


It was duck breast with reduced red port wine as a sauce on it. and lentil salad with argon oil. 












5th Course: 2nd Entree
Duck comfit. (Duck leg cured with salt then and then cook sous-vide) With home cube fries, double fried, once in duck fat. 






6th Course: Desert
Bread pudding with a clear whiskey sauce on top (made by me!) and vanilla ice cream. 

Now you may be asking where the duck is in this? Well I can tell you now it wasn't duck eggs in it. We had Cold Duck along with it, which is a Sparkling sweet red wine. =)


So yeah.. I pretty much had the best practical Christmas ever via presents. And the best Christmas ever food wise. ^.^ 

MERRY DUCKMAS!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment